Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars...I mean, Cereal.

I always imagined that store-bought granola was exceptionally good for you and a healthly snack for my little one's.  One minute your enjoying it's gooey goodness..and the next..you decide to turn over the wrapper.  At this point, you can basically assume that what you are consuming is just as healthy as a candy bar.  What was once so healthy, or so I thought, is now my mid-night sugar fix.  This led me on my journey to the possibility of creating my own granola.

I came across a recipe for homemade granola.  I honestly cannot remember the full recipe nor can I remember the source.  I do remember reading the article.  The recipe was created because of the individual's need for a healthier, less sugary, snack for her kids versus the high fructose syrup containing bars you purchase at your local grocer.  Things to put on your grocery list, each item is purely optional:

Quaker Oats (Old Fashioned)
Natural Honey
Almonds
Almond Extract and Vanilla Extract
Dried Cranberries
Raisons
Grapenuts (Barley= Fiber)
Rice Crispies
Honey (Holds combination together)


Mix together the oats and almonds and then put on a cookie sheet or in a baking dish and toast them for about 5-10 minutes at 350°.  

In the meantime, combine about a tablespoon of brown sugar, vanilla extract (a measurement to taste or what you prefer), almond extract, and honey. 

Cook on low heat until ingredients have melted. (doesn't take long!)

 *I have to say, that I wish I had planned ahead and actually purchased a FULL container of honey.  I needed more when I did the final combination..and I didn't have enough to make everything stick together..Therefore, "Hello Cereal!"  :)  

Combine honey mixture with dry ingredients.  If you want granola BARS make sure everything is coated with honey/the glue of the granola.

My stirrrr crazy, Harmonious.  :)
After I made sure everything was evenly mixed, I placed it back on my glass dish (it's hot from toasting dry ingredients so avoid edges).  The use of wax paper is optional.  I wanted it to be easier for smoother removal.  

Yummmmmmmmmy! 

Have a great evening and happy baking!  :)

Candice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blog Top Sites

Academics Blogs